Autumn has come to Poros, time to harvest the olives. After days of hard labor, we proudly drive our bags of olives to the factories that press them into beautiful, delicious, healthy olive oil. This is such a rewarding experience that no one should miss. You can come and join us for the olive picking week this November! Here is a taste of Odyssey’s olive harvest from last year’s adventure…
Before we start picking the olives, we first lay nets down under the olive trees. We each get a little rake and ‘comb’ the olives of the branches.
After a short while, it is impressive to see the amount of olives on the nets.
The olives need to be separated from the little leaves and branches.
In the meantime the olive trees inspire in many ways…
When the olive trees have been harvested, an olive pressing factory picks up the bags.
Before the truck leaves, we pose proudly in front of the result of our labor.
In the factory our olives are washed, smashed and pressed.
In between watching this interesting process, we eat lunch in the olive grove just outside the factory. The view over the sea and the mountains are overwhelming.
It’s a proud moment when Odyssey’s brand new olive oil comes out of the machine. It looks so amazingly beautiful!
Of course we taste it immediately, and congratulate each other on the fine flavor.
After the harvest, we even make our own olive oil soap!
By the end of the olive picking week everybody has become best friends and we pack up our bottles of olive oil and soap and great memories. Hope to meet you this November for another great harvest!!
Photos: Annette Spaan
Olive Oil Discovery Week 2018
October 27th to November 3rd
Price: €770,00 per person £ 595,00 per person
(Early booking and group discounts may be available, please inquire)
– 7 night’s accommodation at Odyssey Centre on Poros island in maisonette suite with ensuite facilities.
– 7 breakfasts
– 7 lunches (some picnic style)
– A welcome evening reception with Greek mezes
– 6 Greek dinners with wine
– 3 or 4 visits to Odyssey’s olive farm to harvest olives, and visit the local area to discover the history of olives
– A visit to a local traditional olive pressing facility to discover the process of transforming olives to olive oil
– 2 evenings of entertainment
– Local transportation where required
– A bottle of olive oil – from the olives that you harvested during the week
– A supply of olives that you harvested to bring back home to cure on your own
– Olive oil soap making lesson and samples to bring home
– Lemon jam making lesson and samples to bring home
– Booklet with olive curing procedures and olive oil recipes
For bookings please contact Brian Gibbons:
Tel: +44 (0) 1546603852
Mob: +44 (0) 7796500991