1 chicken, organic, free range
For the filling of the Christmas chicken
2 onions chopped
2 clove(s) of garlic
2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
5 chestnuts, boiled peeled and chopped
2 table spoons pine nuts, toasted
2 cups round rice
6 dried apricots chopped
6 dates chopped
½ pommegrannet (only the seeds)
3 table spoons of cranberries, dried
1 spring parsley chopped
1 cup white dry wine
1 cup of water
salt & pepper
- On 22 Dec 2022
- In Christmas Recipes
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 120 Minutes
- Yield 8
- Difficulty Level: Medium
Stuffed Chicken for Christmas
Merry Christmas everyone and Happy holidays!
The Christmas blog is always our favorite one! and even though we sometimes struggle with finding time for our blog we always make sure we have a christmas blog! Christmas has always been about family and spending time with loved ones, as our odyssey family we love sharing these recipes with you and being a small part of your christmas.
Katerina always goes way over the top and makes 12 course meals but we thought a 3 course meal would also be fantastic so This year we are sharing our recipes together so you can recreate these as a christmas or holiday dinner , our soup with christmas tree is the starter the chicken is our main and a chocolate orange mousse as desert.
We hope you like these recipes and enjoy them as much as we do ! best wishes to you all
Christmas Stuffed Chicken
For Christmas we will do a stuffed chicken this year.
My parents always cooked this dish and I love continuing the tradition. It is always a strong part of our Christmas memories to share this tasty and full of beautiful aromas dish . This is not a very old tradition in Pelopinessos our part of Greece. My grandfather from Troizin was always having pork for Christmas and that was much more common at this time of the year in the area. Before Christmas every family used to slaugther a pig and prepare it for the year. But customs are changing. Nothing stays the same for ever. So my family and probably more families like mine, started preparing a stuffed chicken for Christmas in the 60s.
It is a “happy” recipe
You will understand why we love it, mainly from the colours and the aromas when you are cooking it and lateron when it arrives on the festive table, in all its glory, full of colours and aromas. It is an easy recipe that needs some time to prepare but you will not regret taking the time for it. The happiness on the faces of your friends and family around the Christmas table will pay you off for all the effort and work. Very important to me for choosing this dish is that it is a practical dish for that busy day of the year. The day of Christmas you would like to spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, you don’t want to spend it in the kitchen.
You can prepare the stuffed chicken a day in advance and keep it well covered in the refrigerator (well covering in this case is very very important). The day of Christmas you take it of the refridgerator and you put it in the oven that is preheated. You start with your glass of wine and something to nibble, up to the moment that the chicken is ready to serve.
Cooking with Dora
This year we are cooking for Christmas with Dora. Something traditional from my side, something modern and beautiful from her side. I am so proud of the result. I am very proud and greatefull of the happiness to work together and creating the future. So thankful of the beautiful Odyssey in life that I got, enjoy and share.
I wish you a very happy Christmas full of happiness, kitchen creativity, warmth smiles and sharing all that with the people you love and care.
Do you want to cook with Katerina at Odyssey?
Click here for more information!
1 chicken, organic, free range
1. In a large pan add the olive oil over a medium heat. When hot, add the chopped onion and when they are soft add the garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add the rice; sauté for 3-4 minutes. Stir and saute for a few more minutes
3. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and saute until they are all well mixed
4. Add the dry white wine.
5. Season with salt and pepper
6. Stir until all wine is absorbed by the rice
7. Add the water, mix well and take it off the heat. Stir and set it aside until we use it for the stuffing.
8. Set the chicken in to an oven dish , using a table spoon fill the chicken with the rice filing. Sprinkle with salt pepper and olive oil. If you have extra filing spread it around the chicken on the oven dish. Use some of the orange for closing the chicken. Cover the dish well with aluminium foil.
9. Pre-heat the oven to 175 C or 350 F
10. Roast for 1 hour and 30 min.
11. Remove the aluminium foil, add the slices of the orange and roast for another 50 min or until crunchy and golden.
12. ENJOY !!!
Recipe Type : Christmas
0 Reviews Found
Leave us your review
Katerina's Kouzina recipes