500 gr. / 17,5 oz. beef mince
1 kg. / 35 oz. potatoes peeled and sliced
4 medium eggplants, cut into 1cm / ½ inch slices
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stick cinnamon
10 fresh tomatoes (pealed and chopped). If you don't have them, use 2 tins of chopped tomatoes instead
1 teaspoon oregano
1 cup of red wine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- On 12 Sep 2015
- In Meat Recipes
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Difficulty Level: Skilled
This recipe does not need an introduction…
From the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding to almost every Greek taverna, Moussaka is one of the most famous Greek dishes!
Eggplants are the most important ingredient. Once you have prepared the beef mince and the béchamel sauce, you cut the eggplants in slices and put them on the grill.
Fry the potato slices.
Making layers for the Moussaka
Cover an oven proof dish with a third of the potatoes, eggplant slices and the beef mince. Sprinkle with the kefalotiri and repeat the layers. Finally add the béchamel sauce on top and finish it up with a last sprinkling of kefalotiri.
Bubbling and golden
Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Allow the Moussaka to settle for at least 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving, that is if you can stand to wait that long. For many the aroma is even better than the flavor of this amazing dish!
Do you want to cook with Katerina at Odyssey?
Click here for more information!
500 gr. / 17,5 oz. beef mince
85 gr. / 3 oz. unsalted butter
85 gr. / 3 oz. plain flour
900 ml. / 30 fl oz. milk (from the fridge)
100 gr. / 3,5 oz. kefalotiri cheese, grated
½ tsp nutmeg salt and pepper
1. Heat 2 spoons of olive oil in a large skillet / saucepan with a thick bottom; add the onion and when soft add the minced beef and garlic. Break up the meat with a wooden fork until it has a loose texture, add the wine and let it cook for 7 min. Stir cinnamon, chopped tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves and thyme into the meat mixture. Reduce the heat and simmer for about one hour.
2. Meanwhile make the béchamel sauce; melt the butter in a non-stick pan and stir in the flour; take off the heat and stir in the milk. Return the pan to the heat and stir continuously until the sauce thickens. Simmer over a gentle heat for 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in 55 gr. / 2 oz. of the kefalotiri cheese and season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill the eggplants, brushing them with olive oil. Fry the potato slices in oil until lightly browned; set aside until ready to construct the Moussaka.
4. Cover the base of an ovenproof dish (20 x 30 cm. / 9 x 13 inch) with a third of the potatoes and then the same with a third of the eggplants and a third the beef mince. Repeat the layers, sprinkle each layer with kefalotiri.
5. The béchamel sauce should now have cooled enough to whisk in the eggs. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Cover the last layer of the Moussaka with the béchamel sauce and sprinkle the remaining kefalotiri on top of the bechamel. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C / 350 F for 50-60 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Allow the Moussaka to settle for at least 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Servings : 6
Ready in : 100 Minutes
Recipe Type : Meat
3 Reviews Found
Leave us your review
Katerina's Kouzina recipes