1 whole chicken, cleaned, washed and dry
8 medium potatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup dry white wine (keep the rest of the bottle for later)
2 garlic bulbs
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
½ tsp oregano
Salt and pepper
- On 09 Jan 2016
- In Meat Recipes
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 90 Minutes
- Difficulty Level: Starter
Oven roasted chicken with potatoes
Today’s recipe is one of the most simple and really super-delicious; Oven roasted chicken with potatoes. Perhaps it is the first dish I ever cooked. It is a success every time, relatively cheap and everyone likes it!
In my family oven roasted chicken with potatoes was served many times for Sunday dinner. On that day we very often had friends in our house – usually uninvited – so my mother rarely put just one chicken in the oven, often it would be two. On the rare occasion we did not have any guests on Sunday, her skillful hands would transform this fantastic chicken into something else the next day.
Many of our friends and visitors at Odyssey have tried this recipe. I have seen many of them secretly licking their fingers, trying to hold on to their almost empty dishes the moment we would collect the plates from the table, just to linger a bit longer with its fantastic taste. Really all my friends that would like to cook something simple, easy and super delicious, should not wait to try this recipe. I am also confident that you could try several other variations and experiment yourself.
It is my strong preference that the chicken should be organic and have grown up in a natural environment. If this is not the case I am pretty sure it will not taste as good. Look for chickens you can buy in special shops that sell organic meat. They taste well when prepared in the oven. These chickens have a little more fat than those we buy for soup, or for the pan to prepare with a (tomato) sauce. Do not fear, they don’t have a thousand more calories than the other chickens, so just leave the skin on for better flavor. Because of this little extra fat, the outer skin becomes a bit more crispy while the meat stays juicy and tasty.
Making oven roasted chicken with potatoes
Let’s make this wonderful recipe! First, place the chicken in a large oven dish. Peel the potatoes and cut them into wedges, clean the carrots and cut them into chunks. Finally cut the garlic bulbs in half, mix everything and put it around the chicken in the oven dish.
Season inside the chicken with ½ lemon, a sprig of rosemary and a little garlic. In a bowl squeeze the juice from the rest of the lemons, the olive oil, wine, oregano and the rest of the rosemary and mix with a fork until well blended. Add this juice into the oven dish, basting the chicken and potatoes. Finally add parts of the squeezed lemons and season everything with salt and pepper.
The chicken is ready for the oven!
Generally you should not need more than 1 ½ hours for the chicken and potatoes to get ready. Does the chicken not look crispy an delicious? Indispensable for eating this dish is to combine it with a bottle of preferably Greek white wine like Moschofilero or Assyrtiko. Please let me know how your oven roasted chicken with potatoes turned out!
Do you want to cook with Katerina at Odyssey?
Click here for more information!
1 whole chicken, cleaned, washed and dry
1. Preheat the oven to 200º C and start preparing the chicken. Place the chicken in a large oven dish. Peel the potatoes, cut them into wedges and put them around the chicken in the oven dish. Clean the carrots, cut into chunks and mix them with the potatoes around the chicken. Finally cut the garlic bulbs and add them as well.
2. Season inside the chicken with ½ lemon, a sprig of rosemary and a little garlic. In a bowl squeeze the juice from the rest of the lemons, the olive oil, wine, oregano and the rest of the rosemary and mix with a fork until well blended. Add this juice into the oven dish, basting the chicken and potatoes. Finally add parts of the squeezed lemons and season everything with salt and pepper. Place the pan in the oven.
3. After approx. 1 hour, check the progress and stir the potatoes and carrots. Probably the chicken will not be cooked yet and will need some more time, but this also depends on the chicken and your oven. When the chicken is cooked well on one side, you should turn it up-side down so also the other side will get a nice rosy color.
4. In case the potatoes need a little extra time, cover the chicken with aluminum foil until the potatoes are also ready. If the chicken is done and the potatoes need a bit longer to become crispy, remove the chicken from the pan and raise the temperature of the oven for about 10 minutes. Don't forget to check the potatoes in this case. It would not be the first time that the potatoes become a bit burned and more black than allowed, and the chicken is served without potatoes....
5. Generally you should not need more than 1 ½ hours for the chicken and potatoes to get ready. Indispensable for eating this dish is to combine it with a bottle of preferably Greek white wine like Moschofilero or Assyrtiko.
Servings : 4
Recipe Type : Meat
1 Reviews Found
Made this for my family tonight and it was incredible. Just the aromas coming from the kitchen was enough to get everyone jacked up to taste it. This is a keeper! I roasted two chickens side by side in a large pan and left the potatoes whole. The only thing I will do next tie is cut back on the amount of olive oil. Otherwise, this is a classic that every family will love on any given Sunday or any day for that matter!
Sandy from Canada.
Leave us your review
Katerina's Kouzina recipes