600 gr. flour (3 cups)
1 water glass sugar
1 ½ glasses olive oil or other vegetable oil
½ glass fresh-squeezed orange juice
Grated orange rind
1 tsp. baking soda
Dark chocolate chips
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
- On 25 Jan 2015
- In Desserts Recipes
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 08 Minutes
- Difficulty Level: Starter
Chocolate and orange cookies
At the Odyssey we love to bake all different types of cookies. We make these chocolate and orange cookies a lot in the summer and serve them with a nice cup of coffee or tea. The smell of freshly baked cookies wafts through the air after we place the baking trays on the table to cool before transferring them to large glass jars. The counter is only a few steps from the kitchen, yet somehow about half the cookies mysteriously disappear. It can’t be a coincidence that baking day is also the day when guests have a mischievous smile when they pop into the kitchen to say hello.
These lenten cookies are vegan (Greek Orthodox fasts bans the consumption of products from animals with blood). Choose high-quality olive oil otherwise the cookies will taste bitter; if you cannot find this, use another vegetable oil. Orange and cloves add a wonderful flavor to the cookies. Use an organically grown unwaxed orange or scrub thoroughly before using the rind.
Argyro – who has been with Odyssey for seven years – introduced us to these chocolate and orange cookies. She always chooses traditional recipes made with simple, high quality ingredients and local products.
Chocolate and orange
I will share more of Odyssey’s favorite cookies in the months to come. I hope you enjoy this lovely combination of chocolate and orange as much as we do!
Orange and cloves add a wonderful flavor to the chocolate and orange cookies.
When the dough is completely mixed, stir in the chocolate chips.
Take little bits of the dough and put them on a baking sheet. Keep some space in between as they will rise.
Do not bake the cookies for more than ten minutes, as they will become too dry and hard.
When the chocolate and orange cookies come out of the oven, have them with a nice cup of coffee or tea!
Do you want to cook with Katerina at Odyssey?
Click here for more information!
600 gr. flour (3 cups)
1. Heat oven to 170C (340F).
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil and sugar. Dissolve baking soda in orange juice (hold over the mixing bowl with the olive oil and sugar to catch any spill as the soda froths). Add orange juice mix to the bowl. Stir in orange rind.
3. Combine spices with flour, then slowly stir dry ingredients into the bowl. When completely mixed, stir in chocolate chips.
4. Cover two baking trays with baking paper. Using two tablespoons, scoop cookie dough and transfer to baking sheets (use the second spoon to push off the mixture). Space cookies as they will rise a little and spread.
5. Bake at 160-170C on air for 8-10 minutes. Do not bake for more than 10 minutes as the cookies will become too dry and hard.
6. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
7. With this recipe you make 40-50 cookies.
Servings : 40-50 cookies
Recipe Type : Desserts
1 Reviews Found
I would like to make these cookies. About what volume is the water glass you use? I don’t want to mess up the proportions for the oil, sugar, and orange juice. Thank you!
Leave us your review
Katerina's Kouzina recipes