4 chicken thighs
4 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic
3 sprigs of thyme or a tablespoon
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup red wine
3 chopped tomatoes or 400-gram canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons (Kyknos) tomato paste
1 cup of water
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon allspice berries
3 bay leaves
500-gram (Bucatini) pasta (1 pack)
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Optional: Crated Kefalotiri or Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to season
- On 02 Feb 2020
- In Meat Recipes
- Prep Time: 85 Minutes
- Cook Time: 70 Minutes
- Difficulty Level: Starter
Chicken in tomato and red wine sauce
In Greece there are a lot of days when we don’t eat meat. All of you who have stayed at Odyssey have heard me say that often. Growing up, a typical day when I and my family would eat meat, was Sunday. Most of the time we would cook a chicken recipe. In honour of this family tradition I share with you my recipe for Chicken in tomato and red wine sauce!
Cooking with love
To me, one of the nicest Greek chicken recipes is Kotopoulo Kokkinisto; chicken in tomato sauce; Loved by all of us and my mother was very proud to cook it. The way she made it was never the same; the miracles of this world. Having said that, you might think I am exaggerating, but I am not. The nice thing is that although every time her Kotopoulo Kokkinisto tasted a bit different, the feeling of this recipe remained the same. Especially the comfort it gave us. I suppose the feeling the food gives the people you cook for is the most important for a cook, as it was for my mother.
Greek Sunday lunch
Years later on Sundays, cooking for my husband Rik, my daughter Dora, and the rest of our family and friends, I suppose I was doing the same. I often cooked chicken in tomato sauce on Sundays. It’s funny how we become like our parents as we get older. I guess often my recipe was different from the last, but I made it with love while thinking of all those I would be sharing it with.
Chicken in tomato and red wine sauce
Today’s chicken recipe is no less of a taste sensation than the one just described. Chicken in tomato and red wine sauce is one of the most successful out of all my, and my mother’s recipes we have made throughout the years! Try it at home and you will love it. A few of the things you have to take care over are the following:
– Try to get a free-range chicken
– Cook with love and think of your loved ones! It does not matter if you follow all the steps exactly; it does not matter if the result is a bit different, just enjoy making and sharing it with your family and friends. And remember, in a way your Odyssey family will be joining too!!
For the chicken in red wine sauce I have used the Greek macaroni called Bucatini. With this pasta we also make Pastitsio. We consider it the perfect side dish for a lot of tomato-meat sauces. Try to find Bucatini, as this pasta has a very special taste and is very interesting to look at on the plate!! Bucatini is bigger and thicker than the average macaroni and because of that, I think it absorbs more of the sauce and makes it very tasty.
Greek tomato paste Kyknos
The tomato paste I used is from the Greek brand Kyknos and I love it! It’s a local product from one of the oldest factories of Greece that started near Nafplio (A town close to Poros and in my opinion the most beautiful in Greece) and is still operating in the Peloponnesus. Kyknos has been a family company for more than a century now, and they work with the same tomato seeds that they started with. They are not genetically manipulated so they have tomato varieties that are suitable for our climate and soil characteristics. Kyknos tomatoes are famous for their superb taste and aroma.
The company survived the Greek economic crisis and still makes a very nice tomato paste that tastes like it’s made from sun dried tomatoes, has a very intense flavour and a beautiful aroma, as it is canned within 6 hours maximum! Try to find or use another nice tomato paste.
Enjoy making the Chicken in tomato and red wine sauce!
Food photography: Annette Spaan
Do you want to cook with Katerina at Odyssey?
Click here for more information!
4 chicken thighs
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Sauté the onion in the hot oil until transparent (about 3-4 minutes), add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
3. Add the chicken to the hot oil, that is aromatised by the onion and the garlic, and sear on both sides until it is golden.
4. Pour in the red wine and allow everything to simmer for about 5-6 minutes.
5. Add the herbs, tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon, allspice berries, bay leaves and water. Season the mix with salt and pepper to your taste. Let everything simmer for another 60 minutes.
6. In the meantime, boil water in a big pan, add a tablespoon of salt and boil the pasta. Let it boil for 9 minutes or as long as it is says in the instructions on the package of your pasta.
7. Serve the chicken with the pasta and sprinkle the dish with the chopped parsley and if you like, some crated Kefalotiri or Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!!
Servings : 4 people
Ready in : 85 Minutes
Recipe Type : Meat
0 Reviews Found
Leave us your review
Katerina's Kouzina recipes