1 kilo flour
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of sunflower / vegetable oil
½ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup water
Rind of a lemon
- On 27 Aug 2016
- In Desserts Recipes
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 08 Minutes
- Difficulty Level: Starter
Lemon and mint cookies
Taste of summer
A few months ago we wanted to create a cookie with the taste of summer. Immediately lemons came to mind. We wondered how we could best accentuate their lovely flavor. It quickly came to us. What would rock the summer feeling better than the combination of lemon and mint?
From the vegetable garden on the roof of the Odyssey Bistro we picked the mint we needed and fresh lemons are always around. With the sun on our skin in the patio, we shaped the dough into cookies on baking trays.
Lemon and mint cookies
Not much later the aromas from the oven made the whole Odyssey kitchen smell like summer. We were all excited and eager to taste. Ever since we can’t stop eating the lemon and mint cookies, they are so yummy!
Do you want the taste of Greek summer at home? Let’s start baking! Get yourself some fresh mint and lemons and gather the other ingredients.
Making lemon and mint cookies
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil and the sugar. Combine the water with the lemon juice and dissolve the baking soda in it. Once the soda is not foaming anymore, add the mixture and lemon rind to the bowl and whisk it well. At last, ad the flour and mix everything into a homogenous dough.
Once the dough is ready cover 2 baking trays with baking paper. Form small balls with your hands, the size of a walnut. Place these cookies on the baking tray and press the top a little to make them a bit flat. Don’t forget that the cookies will rise a bit so give them some space.
Mix the mint and sugar in a bowl and put half of a teaspoon of this mixture on the top of each cookie dough. Press it on the dough with the spoon so that the mixture sticks on top of the cookie.
If you like, it’s nice to sprinkle some extra sugar on top!
Bake the lemon and mint cookies for 8-10 minutes in the oven. Do not bake them for more than 10 minutes as the cookies will become too dry and hard.
Once ready, take the lemon and mint cookies out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. With every bite you enjoy summer in your home all year long!
Do you want to cook with Katerina at Odyssey?
Click here for more information!
1 kilo flour
For the top
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons of sugar
1. Heat the oven to 170C (340F). In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil and the sugar. Combine the water with the lemon juice and dissolve the baking soda in this mix. Hold this mix over the mixing bowl with the oil and sugar to catch any spill as the soda froths.
2. Once the soda is not foaming anymore, you add this mix of water, lemon juice and soda to the large mixing bowl. You also add the lemon rind to the mixing bowl and whisk it well. The flour is the last ingredient to add, and you then mix everything to a homogenous dough.
3. Once the dough is ready you cover 2 baking trays with baking paper. Form with your hands small balls, the size of a walnut and place these cookies on the baking tray, press the top a little as to make them a bit flat. Don’t forget that the cookies will rise a little so give them some space.
4. Mix the mint and sugar in a bowl and put half of a teaspoon of this mixture on the top of each cookie dough. Press it on the dough with the spoon so that the mixture sticks on top of the cookie. Space the cookies as they will rise a little.
5. Bake at 160-170C on air for 8-10 minutes. Do not bake for more than 10 minutes as the cookies will become too dry and hard. Take the lemon and mint cookies out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
Servings : 50-60 cookies
Ready in : 25 Minutes
Recipe Type : Desserts
0 Reviews Found
Leave us your review
Katerina's Kouzina recipes